Shiny Pink Flower

Monday, April 6, 2015

DIY: Dark Brown to Ultraviolet Hair

Hi everyone,

For quite sometime I've been wanting to dye my hair a different colour. Since last year I've been dying my hair plum which shows as a redish brownish purplish colour (depends on the lighting) and after nagging my dad to agree with my drastic change of hair colour, he finally agreed. I opted for a purple colour seeing that my favourite colour is actually purple and not pink.

Initially I wanted to dye my hair with Manic Panic Purple Haze but when I went to buy the dye they didn't have Purple Haze in the Manic Panic Amplified range so I took the closet colour which was Manic Panic Ultra Violet.

I spoke to one of the Lushies at Lush Cavendish who has gorgeous lilac hair about how she done it because there is no way I was going to get it done professionally because it's hella expensive. Heather gave me a step by step explanation of what she does to get her hair the colour she wants. She suggested Kair's highlighting kit to bleach my hair and then use the hair dye that I prefer and then treat my hair with one of the Lush hair treatments.

To achieve the look I wanted, I used:
2 x 100ml Kair Blonde High-light refill kit (Available at Clicks)
1 x 118ml Manic Panic Ultra Violet Amplified (Available at Wildfire Piercing Parlor in Long Street)
When I bleached my hair on Thursday, my hair was light brown except for my regrowth which was blonde so obviously I had to dye it again. I waited until Sunday to do the second bleaching process and then my hair was way lighter than the bleach process from Thursday. I should've done another bleach process because then my hair would've been even lighter but I couldn't wait because the entire process was such a schlep because I only dyed my last layer so sectioning my hair took some time and it was extremely frustrating.

After the second bleach process, I rinsed my hair without any shampoo or conditioner, dried it and then applied the ultra violet. I kept the ultra violet colour on for an hour and a bit and then rinsed the colour out and then washed my hair with Lush's Honey I Washed my Hair shampoo bar and Tropical Jungle solid conditioner and then styled it normally.
My hair is not fragile after the bleaching or anything so that's kind of cool. Thankfully my hair is strong (Thanks Mom and Dad) so there wasn't any breakage. I'm really happy with the outcome seeing that it was my first attempt and I think my sister done such a good job. It's subtle but as soon as I put up my hair it's party, party, party!

I would highly recommend the products I used because it's affordable and good quality. This costed me less than R500 where if I went to a salon it would've probably been over R1000. SCORE!

I so badly want to do my entire head but agh, it will gradually happen :)

Until next time..
xx

12 comments:

  1. Love, love it! Wish I could still do bright hair, but apparently attorneys have a dress code. Boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I would've loved to do my entire head.

      I work at a digital marketing agency so no one really cares lol. Do like I did mine. When my hair is down no one knows about the party happening in my hair ;-)

      N
      xx

      Delete
  2. I think you'd need to do mine for me :D Mermaid hair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't mind :D Just let me know when and where lol.

      N
      xx

      Delete
  3. Aaaaaaaaweeeesssssooommmmmmmeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaaaaaanks, LA!
      Crazy Coloured Girls Association reunited!

      N
      xx

      Delete
  4. OMGawd! Your hair looks amazing in that colourr! You're super lucky to be able to pull off such a colour - I am seriously jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, TL.

      I was a bit worried about how it would turn out but my sister done a brilliant job!

      N
      xx

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome! Well done to you and your sister

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Don't forget to check The Jam Jar out on other social media platforms ♡

Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram