Shiny Pink Flower

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Review: Henna by The HeART of Henna

Hi everyone,

I recently attended the Souletu Spa pamper beauty event thanks to the lovely Shienaas from Nachi Blog.

They had various spoils at the event and one of them were henna tattoos. I was honestly really excited to get my hand done. I've used henna for my nails but I haven't gotten a henna hand pattern. And this is where I met the lovely Athiyah from The HeArt of Henna.

"Henna (Lawsonia inermis, also known as hina, the henna tree, the mignonette tree, and the Egyptian privet) is a flowering plant and the sole species of the Lawsonia genus. The English name "henna" comes from the Arabic حِنَّاء‎ (ALA-LC: ḥinnāʾ; pronounced [ħɪnˈnæːʔ]) or, colloquially حنا‎, loosely pronounced as /ħinna/.
The name henna also refers to the dye prepared from the plant and the art of temporary tattooing based on those dyes (see also Mehndi). Henna has been used since antiquity to dye skin, hair, and fingernails, as well as fabrics including silk, wool, and leather. The name is used in other skin and hair dyes, such as black henna and neutral henna, neither of which is derived from the henna plant."*
Athiya has been doing henna art for the past year and you would never say because she is so good at it.

I asked if she could do traditional bridal mehndi on my hand because I absolutely love the way it looks. I think she done an amazing job in such a short time. She had the option of black henna and red henna. Obviously I took black (to match the colour of my soul). I was a bit hesitant to take black because I haven't seen any menhdi patterns using black henna but I was happy that I did! The end results was beautiful!

I must say that using the black generic henna did not irritate my skin at all. Once it was dry, I just peeled it off and BAM! the colour was pitch black! Later that evening I had a shift at my second job and I got so many compliments from my colleagues and patrons.

This black henna print lasted for about a week before it started fading.
I managed to steal some time from Athiya's busy schedule for this mini interview. Hope you lovelies enjoy :)

1. When did your passion for henna art spark?
I guess that I have always been surrounded by an Indian cultural environment, as my dad is Indian. I am currently studying Surface Design. Not many people know what it is, so I guess ill all I can say is that it's designing and making surfaces that are aesthetically appealing, whether it be designing textiles, wallpaper or even home décor.

I treat Henna art on the skin as another surface that I would usually work on. All the pieces that I have created are unique and can never be the same as the next.

2. What was your most intricate design?
I don't see my work as being intricate. Its more a form of expression, individuality and based on what the person would like. However, I do like my work to be at its best and I wont do my art, just for the sake of doing it. If a piece will take me two hours to do, I will sit and do it (I have sat for a longer period with one person).  

Some of the most detailed pieces that I have done, has to be the bridal pieces. Many of the brides usually have both their arms fully covered, which usually takes me between 2hrs and 2.5 hrs, depending on the design.

3. How long does the henna usually last on the skin? Do you have any tips and tricks to help the stain last longer?
There are many different types of henna that are used. There is pure henna, which usually takes longer to get to its true pigment, and a generic, which stains quicker, but has a shorter life span.

The pure henna usually lasts about 2 weeks, depending on the care taken. When put on, it is best to have it on for a minimum of 3-4 hours. Ones it starts to get dry, its advisable to dab some lemon juice and sugar syrup. One can also cover it with cling wrap when its dry and sleep with it on until the next morning. DO NOT wash it off. Scrape it off gently and dust is off. After, rub a strong menthol ointment to ignite the pigment, such as Zumbak, Vicks, or Puma Balm. Do not be alarmed if the colour is a light orange, it will get darker as the days pass.

The generic henna is much more easier to use. Once put on, it will take between 1-2 hours to dry, and the pigment is at its richest. The colour will start fading much faster than the natural henna. This lasts for about a week.

4. I've seen some bad reactions to black henna, is the black henna that you use PPD free?
The generic henna that I use does not contain PPD, ammonia or harmful chemicals, however, it is advisable for the client to do a skin test 2 hours before usage.
   
5. Beside henna art, what else do you enjoy doing?
I'm an extremely sociable person, and love being around my family and friends. Art, design and being creative has always been a part of me, and always will be, thus in my spare time, I upcycle things. Taking things that are old and making something completely new and different.


Athiya does hands, full arms, back and bridal mehndi. You can check out her price list here.

Contact Athiya:
♡ Facebook - The HeART of Henna
♡ Email - athiyahcader@yahoo.com

Until next time..
xx

3 comments:

  1. So refreshing to see a henna post after so long, love your blog!!!

    keep up the good work, followed!

    zaras-bowsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She done such a lovely job. I can't wait to get another pattern done.

      Thank you so much, Zara :)

      Followed you too :)

      N
      xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Don't forget to check The Jam Jar out on other social media platforms ♡

Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram