Shiny Pink Flower

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hi everyone,

The lovely people at Canderal sent me some goodies to try out during this chilly season to keep warm. I love having that sweet scent lingering in the house, especially on cold nights! No one likes picking up those extra kilos that you just managed to lose during the Summer time so using a substitute for all the bad-eeky stuff is a great idea!

Local food blogger, Andanté Wiehahn from LekkerBek says, "for best results, use recipes specially developed for sugar substitutes. “To make sugar-free baking as easy as possible, Canderel has created the Canderel Kitchen – an online catalogue of recipes from breakfast to dessert and everything in between,” says Wiehahn.

I tried baking some chocolate chip cookies with Canderel Yellow and I must say that the outcome wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It turned out really good in my opinion. Okay, so let's get to the fun part of this post :D.

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Ingredients:
100g low fat spread
10g Canderel Yellow
125g plain flour, sifted
2 tsp low calorie cocoa, sifted
75g Canderel dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Place the low fat spread and Canderel Yellow into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.


4. Add the flour and cocoa and beat until it comes together to form a soft dough.


6. Stir through the chocolate pieces then scoop out heaped tablespoonfuls of the dough, about the size of a golf ball, forming it into a round shape with your hands.


7. Arrange the balls on the baking sheet and flatten them with a fork, making an imprint on the dough.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. *Tip: Before flattening the cookie dough with a fork, spray some Spray n Cook on the back of the fork. It makes it easier to flatten the cookies and the cookie dough doesn't stick to the fork


8. Remove from the oven and rest on the baking trays for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

NOTE: They may still be a little soft when you take them out of the oven, but they will continue to firm up as they cool.


Taste Test:
What I thought?
I've never used Canderel before so this was a first for me. Initially the taste was great and the sweetness of the cookie dough mixed with the bitterness of the dark chocolate was really yummy. They sort of balanced each other out. Only after I finished the cookie, I tasted this unfamiliar aftertaste. I assumed it was the Canderel Yellow I was tasting and oh boy was my tastebuds confused and unappreciative. It was rather an odd taste for me. But overall, the chocolate chip cookie was really yummy. 

What my parents thought?
My father is an avid user of Canderel for his tea so he absolutely LOVED these cookies. He ate most of it last night already and he said that it had the right amount of sweetness and the right amount of bitterness. The after taste that I was tasting, he didn't taste it at all. He really enjoyed each bite of the chocolate chip cookies.

My mother on the other hand, someone who doesn't use Canderel at all, really liked them too. She said that it wasn't overly sweet and that it tasted as if too much coco was added into the cookie but other than that she really liked it. She didn't taste the same aftertaste like I did.

I added the purple glitter because my assistant chef, Ghaneefah (my 7 year old niece), likes pretty sparkly things. So we sprinkled some glitter over the cookies.

This recipe was quick and easy to do and it made about 10 cookies.

Visit Canderel's website to find out more about their products and discover great recipes from breakfast to main courses and desserts to tasty drinks.

Until next time..
xx

6 comments:

  1. your pictures look so amazing!!!
    Do check out my blog when you get a chance :)
    www.worldbysmiley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabassum :)

      I did already and I must say that it's yummy ;)

      Thanks for reading.

      N
      xx

      Delete
  2. Jeez Im hungry now. Thanks lol But totes gonna try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it was good.

      It's a NEED to try it out!

      Thanks for reading, Maz!

      N
      xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Don't forget to check The Jam Jar out on other social media platforms ♡

Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram